Tuesday, October 14, 2014

God of Wonder

As each day passes here on the mission 'field', it is more and more evident to me that in no way to I belong here. 

I don't fit in. My Spanish is not where I want it to be. It is quite easy for me to become fearful. I find myself full of doubts at times and ready to conquer the world in the next. Unstable in my ways would be a fitting description without a doubt. I am a man. I am a vile sinner. In the midst of the war of the flesh and the spirit I can fold like a cheap tent with the best of them. It is really a miserable thing to behold.

But in spite of all these things which would aptly describe a life failure, stands a man... a family, on a mission. This mission we are on is seeing unbelievable great open doors and possibilities to grow leaps and bounds. How on earth is this even possible? How or better yet why would our Great and Righteous God want to and ultimately do use someone like me? It truly defies all human reasoning.

This is the point that all I, we, can do, is stand in amazement at our Wonderful Savior. That's MY King!

At the current moment we find ourselves in the midst of the most gritty, dangerous, large, exhilarating and soul-satisfying mission of our lives. On the one hand it's all we can possibly handle and on the other it is just the tip of a God-sized ice burg. What other God but ours can do such things and accomplish them through seemingly so little? The answer is quite simple: none. 

The Los Seguidores discipleship academy has been running full steam for some time now. Not with it's hiccups and cultural clashes, it's going quite well. So much so that we have a folder full of children begging for admission. Our Sunday morning children church is also beyond capacity. In the inner-city burrow on Guatemala City we minister in it is nothing for you to see over 60 people crammed into a space the size of an average size master bath in the United States! Needless to say we are praying for more space!

With this wonderful King it does not end there. In the many villages that dot the nearby countryside we have open doors to reach these indigenous Guatemalan people with the light of the Gospel, mainly through strategic medical evangelism teams in these hard to reach and hard to breech places.

How on earth will we ever do it? Well, we never will. From the beginning we were set-up for near inevitable defeat. The great news is that I don't have to do it. God will. The God of this great universe who created all from nothing, has the hairs of my head numbered and cares even for the erratic landings of a sparrow will handle it all!

Prayers are always needed and much appreciated. The mountain is big and small all at the same time.

Tonight I ask that you simply rejoice with us in the Great God that we serve. Be in wonder this evening...

Be in wonder at the God of Wonder.

No comments: